We believe that the future of transportation is automated. Automated travel will be safer, more comfortable, more efficient and a powerful economic enabler for our communities. However, automating driving is a massively complex engineering challenge, requiring vehicles to navigate social norms, regional traffic patterns, unpredictable weather incidents, and a host of anomalous events. While billions of dollars have already been spent trying to solve this problem, a comprehensive answer remains frustratingly elusive. We believe that the final answer lies with roadway infrastructure.
Join us in building the roads of the future. Cavnue, which recently announced the closing of its Series A at $130M, is bridging technology and road infrastructure to realize a safer, more efficient, and more accessible future for automated transportation. Cavnue’s experienced team sits at the intersection of technology, infrastructure, and government—working together to develop and deploy the world’s most advanced roads. We are incorporating physical and digital infrastructure that unlock the full spectrum of capabilities of current and future automated vehicle technologies. We believe in a world in which road infrastructure shares in the complexity of autonomy and, instead of being another problem to solve for, becomes a core part of the solution.
The VP of Safety is responsible for leading the development and oversight of a comprehensive safety program at Cavnue. You will serve as a subject matter expert for safety and associated regulatory compliance, this role reports to the CEO and Co-Founder of Cavnue. You will build and oversee a safety organization which coordinates all of our product and solution safety efforts across Cavnue.
In this role, you will be responsible for the development and implementation of comprehensive policies, procedures, and guidelines to ensure compliance with safety regulations, safety standards, and best practices. In collaboration with the leadership team, you will develop and oversee Cavnue’s safety regulatory strategy and represent Cavnue on associated issues before regulatory agencies, industry best-practice setting bodies, technical forums, and at conferences, on expert panels, and in other forums, as appropriate. You will partner with other Cavnue technology leaders on implementation of any tools and integration ( such as SMS platforms) to support our safety programs.
- Oversee internal safety concern identification, resolution efforts, documentation, and communication processes/procedures.
- Work closely with all levels and departments of the organization to effectively create, implement, measure and oversee a world class safety culture program. Plan and align the cross-functional integration of safety principles into every facet of the organization and every stage of development, testing, and deployment.
- Develop a robust set of leading indicators to monitor and drive safety excellence.
- Set overarching product safety goals, develop and manage processes that measure, verify and validate product safety risk against those goals, determine safety-related product requirements consistent with those goals, and evaluate and approve modifications to safety goals, requirements and processes.
- Partner with the CTO and technology team to determine the requirements and priority for safety tools and their deployment.
- Partner with all teams responsible for supporting the product safety case and its adherence to relevant safety standards and best practices (ISO, SAE, AVSC, FMVSS, etc.). Review and advise on adoption of such standards, processes, and procedures to comply with those standards, and audit Company compliance with the same to drive safety and industry best-in-class capability and functionality.
- Assist as an independent internal expert and reviewer in order to compile necessary functional safety and/or safety regulatory evidence as well as needed documentation during the product development lifecycle processes.
- Develop and implement a roadmap for continued enhancement of safety activities and capabilities that will scale as the business grows and evolves.
- Manage the complexity of a wide group of stakeholders, including state DOTs, AV developers, and the federal government – at local, state, and national levels. Serve as a key interface to both public and private partners and stakeholders to represent the safety strategy of Cavnue.
- Keep current on all issues as they relate to safety in the AV and ground transportation sectors and lead with an understanding of how they affect these groups through effective, honest, and straightforward communication.
- Develop, coordinate, and implement occupational safety policies and procedures to promote and ensure effective safety operations in the workplace.
- An “own it” attitude; a “doer” comfortable in a lean, informal, and free flowing environment; solves problems collaboratively through open and constructive discussion
- Highly accountable with a strong results orientation and able to make quick, calculated decisions with confidence.
- Provides a strong point of view as a key member of the executive team.
- Highly motivated; creates a sense of urgency with regards to safety importance, brings a scrappy attitude and is unafraid to roll up their sleeves and dive into the details.
- An effective leader and strong negotiator with safety professionals, regulatory, and/or industry organizations.
- Someone who has demonstrated commitment to safety, with the ability to identify and act upon safety improvement opportunities.
- An effective leader and strong negotiator with safety professionals, regulatory, and/or industry organizations
- Team-builder, focused on developing internal talent and creating pathways for growth.
- Someone who will speak up; unafraid to challenge/be challenged. Has a keen ability to foster productive discussion and debate.
- Flexible; embraces change and has the ability to adapt, can deal effectively with different personalities and empathizes with an owner mentality
- Is of unquestionable personal and professional integrity; is able to give and take constructive criticism and demands high performance
- Remote friendly and flexible work environment
- Company 401K match
- Parental, childbirth, and adoption leave
- Wellness perks including access to on-demand primary care, virtual health appointments, and online mental health therapy
- Home office reimbursement policy
- Generous PTO policy, including paid year-end holiday shut down
- Learning and development opportunities
- Top of the line equipment for our team members!
We are building an incredible team of employees with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that great work can occur anywhere and are open to considering candidates who meet our needs who reside outside our geographic footprint. We also value the impact that can result from co-located teams and some roles may require regular presence in one of our offices.
Cavnue is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination or harassment of any kind. All employment decisions at Cavnue are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, gender, age, religion or belief, disability, sexual orientation, family or parental status, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.